Over all the section had minimum grammar errors. However, I did find errors that were not written according to the AP Stylebook, or how I was taught to write news stories. Throughout the paper, every story had issues with the quotations. Instead of using "said" as the attribution, the papers has "says, recalls, remembers," and in one story not even an attribution for a quote, which left me asking "Did this person say it or was it the other person mentioned in the story that said it?" I.E. Parental Advisory: Keith Writes a Book For Kids.
Other factors I noticed were typos/design flaws. The last sentence of a quote had been separated into its own paragraph, and they did not have it punctuated correctly. I.E. Pregnant Kate is feeling 'pretty poorly', first quotation in the first column. Another issue is the using of someone's quote as part of the headline. Why do that? The Pregnant Kate story just seems to be bland when I read that headline. This also occurred on the second page story, 'Happy Energy,' causal style. There are other ways of writing better headlines than using someone's quote from the story. There was also an issue with both of the Richards stories. They begin off by stating NEW YORK and then the lead begins exactly after that. I.E. "NEW YORK Keith Richards knows exactly what you're thinking...."
The correct way should be the following:
NEW YORK
Keith Richards knows exactly what you're thinking...
Other than this issues, the edition was fairly well written. Some stories however I think should have been put on the front page and a few put on the others. Pregnant Kate should have been on the second page while 'Happy Energy,' causal style should have been on the front with a jump to the second/third page.
No comments:
Post a Comment