As with the first two critiques, the same things keep appearing. The writers use "says" instead of said. They try very hard to make it present tense, when they shouldn't. It just seems awkward. Another thing I noticed in the paper, is that they will have a direct quotation paragraph and not end with a quotation mark, and then the next paragraph is another direct quotation and it starts with the mark. I'm not sure if this is their style, but for one, it is rather annoying. Any direct quotation paragraph should end with the mark if the following one starts with the mark. Common sense.
The main issue I had with this past week's paper, is that the stories are not well organized on the pages. The front page story is about Tony Bennet and Lady Gaga's duet album, which is being released next week. This was already covered on the Today Show, CBS Good Morning, and a few other newspapers/magazines. I understand that the USA ran the story because the album is about to be released, but it's a bit old news, and should have gone on the third page. Also on the front page is a movie review of "This Is Where I Leave You." The review is a bad one, as are three of the four other reviews. The only good review is the 'Tracks" film review, which should be flipped with "This Is Where I Leave You," as it is a good review and people will read it and want to go see it, why put it on the second page? On the third page is a preview on the new series, "Gotham." This should have gone on the front page. One, it's a well-written preview, it doesn't give away spoilers, and it is on a brand-new show that has been said to be "the most promising new show this Fall." I would switch it with the Tony Bennet and Gaga story.
The rest of the paper is about travel, which is just the fourth and fifth pages. One of which is a feature story, which just describes and makes suggestions on "how to take romance on the road." To be honest, I only read half of it before saying, "I don't really care."
No comments:
Post a Comment